E-safety is of critical importance to all of us. But where do we start? How can we consider such an important but yet very challenging area?
What is needed is clarity not confusion. So
- Mechanisms to make issues visible
- Accountabilitywho / what / when…..
- Really good Communication
What to keep mind
- Education institutions can’t prevent everything – but they should measuresuccess
- Are the right judgement calls being made –
- Irrespective of frameworks/toolsetc? (frameworks can = tick boxes)
- Who is accountable for child protection / safeguarding?
- Beware vested interests
E-safety = technology can amplify the threat of safeguarding issues (and makes execution of criminal activity relatively easy)
Technology brings learning benefits
mitigates risk by increasing visibility of issues & assurance
- Can staff spot a child protection issue?
- Do they know key organisations?
- Where is the information held / who to contact?
- What should you do?
- How are you monitoring outcomes and compliance?